Minister of Science and Chief Protector of the Faith

Sunday, December 09, 2007

What Was On TV Last Night

 

I watched the 1999 version of The Mummy for the umteenth time. I saw this film in the theaters when it first came out. At the time, I was absolutely sure that I was going to hate it, that it was going to be bloody awful.


I was sure that they were just going to take a crap on the classic 1933 version of the The Mummy with Boris karloff. The original version of the film was deliciously dark and mysterious. This brief video clip [4:59] is an excellent example of the power of that film. Some of the remakes of this film have been quite childish. [2:22]

I was actually delightfully surprised by the 1999 remake. [2:45]. It followed the original film loosely, but added several new wrinkles and ideas to the story. Not only were the special effects far more technologically advanced, but the story and character development were more compelling and amusing than in the original film. Also, the comedy relief in the film was much funnier. (Whatever you do, don't say "Rashimulu Kashka!")

Jeepers! Imhotep needs a breath mint!
 

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

7 Comments:

At Sun Dec 09, 08:23:00 AM, Blogger Angry Ballerina said...

I actually liked it too. It was good campy fun. W the exception of the scary ass scarabs, jjjeeeeeeezzzzuuuuuuz they gave me the willies.

 
At Sun Dec 09, 10:21:00 AM, Blogger The Cunning Runt said...

Yeah, that was the itchy part, wuznit? But really, I too was pleasantly surprised. Great Camp on Meth.

Hey Dr. Z, Here's another reason to wrinkle your nose at the word "human:"

I just tagged you again for a Splotchy-Saga-Redux.

Hey, I had to, I used you in it ;)

 
At Sun Dec 09, 01:52:00 PM, Blogger SamuraiFrog said...

I loved that movie; just the right kind of Indiana Jones silly, fun, exciting adventure. I caught that this morning on one of the Encore channels, and I'd forgotten really just how very much I liked it.

 
At Sun Dec 09, 07:33:00 PM, Blogger Omnipotent Poobah said...

Yeah, but the amusement park ride based on it sucked. Lots of old faux rock and some dust swooshed at you when you walked by.

 
At Sun Dec 09, 07:45:00 PM, Blogger annabkrr said...

My son has made me watch that movie so much my eyes bled. I did like it the first time I saw it though.

 
At Sun Dec 09, 07:56:00 PM, Blogger Randal Graves said...

And don't forget that Rachel Weisz always sexifies up a flick.

 
At Mon Dec 10, 07:35:00 AM, Blogger Dr. Zaius said...

Angry Ballerina: Ack! The scarabs scared me too!

The Cunning Runt: Jeepers! Just did that one! Give me a little time to come up with something, CR.

SamuraiFrog: That's it! They added the "Indiana Jones" factor! That was what made it so much fun.

Omnipotent Poobah: Hmm... I will make sure to miss that mummified mummy ride!

Anna: Jeepers! What a cool blog you have. I am always intrigued by a blog when the first post I read on it describes explosive diarrhea. I have added you to my blogroll. I am sure that you can think of ways to get revenge on your son for making you watch this film so many times. I know! Tell him that he is adopted... from a family of customer service representatives.

Randal Graves: Yes! Thank you for mentioning that. I was going to say the same thing. Ooo-la-la! I'll bet she's French.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Newer Posts  |  Older Posts