Minister of Science and Chief Protector of the Faith

Friday, December 07, 2007

Splotchy's Story Meme

 

I woke up hungry. I pulled my bedroom curtain to the side and looked out on a hazy morning. I dragged myself into the kitchen, in search of something to eat. I reached for a jar of applesauce sitting next to the sink, and found it very cold to the touch. I opened the jar and realized it was frozen. (Splotchy)

"That's strange," I said out loud to no one in particular. My fingers slowly reached towards the jar again. My body experienced a wave of apprehension as weighted blanket covering me as I did so. The jar was completely frozen.

I picked it up and stared at it, my fingers stung with little knives of chill. "What the..." again I spoke aloud. Then I realized what had happened with a shock. Suddenly the jar flew from my hand. It shattered creating a collage-like mixture of frozen applesauce and glass shards on my kitchen floor, the lid lazily rolling to a stop across the room.(FranIAm)

I half noticed at first glimpse that there was something odd amidst the solidified apple sauce as I reached for the broom and the dust pan. As I knelt down to clean up the frozen mess, I could clearly see a tiny figure within the goopy mess. It was a human eye, with tiny arms and legs! I resisted my initial urge to pick it up with my hand, and then reached down to scoop it up with the dustpan. The eye looked up at me in horror and gave out a frightening high pitched screech as it ran for the living room.

I was dumbfounded by this turn of events. I didn't even like applesauce - And I had guests coming for dinner! It would not be proper to have a homunculus eyeball running around during the appetizer - I had to think fast. I crept into the living room so as to not startle the small creature. The eyeball was under the coffee table, peeking out from behind one of table legs. When I approached, it quickly darted under the couch!

I got on my hands and knees to look under the couch, but I could not see the eye through all of the old newspapers and dust bunnies that had accumulated under there. I had to hurry! the guests were coming at seven o'clock, and I had not even started the buffalo chicken skewers with blue cheese dipping sauce yet! Not to mention the couscous and the broccoli noodle salad. (Zaius Nation)

This is an installment of Splotchy's Story Meme. According to Splotchy, "Here's what I would like to do. I want to create a story that branches out in a variety of different, unexpected ways. I don't know how realistic it is, but that's what I'm aiming for. Hopefully, at least one thread of the story can make a decent number of hops before it dies out." You can read all of the details here.

I was tagged by FranIAm. I tag the following people to continue the meme:


 

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

13 Comments:

At Fri Dec 07, 05:44:00 AM, Blogger Fran said...

Damn- you are good.

 
At Fri Dec 07, 10:02:00 AM, Blogger Splotchy said...

Nicely done!

I hope the dinner party goes off without a hitch!

Thanks for being infected.

 
At Fri Dec 07, 04:01:00 PM, Blogger Jon the Intergalactic Gladiator said...

OK, I'm in. Are we going in order or anything? Do I just pick up where you left off? Should I wait for the Evil Dictator? When will the bruise on my foot heal?

 
At Fri Dec 07, 05:48:00 PM, Blogger BAC said...

The story continues at Yikes!


BAC

 
At Fri Dec 07, 08:13:00 PM, Blogger Freida Bee said...

Oh, you are good. An EYEBALL? I waited until I written my strain to read others, not to be influenced. I see books in your future Dr. Z. First Presidential Underpants, now an eyeball. ¿Has your imagination no end? (Oh, and all the other stuff you write.)

 
At Sat Dec 08, 09:34:00 AM, Blogger Life As I Know It Now said...

ok, I will do this but it will have to wait until Tuesday when my semester ends. right now my brain is just fried.

 
At Sat Dec 08, 11:32:00 AM, Blogger Randal Graves said...

This might be my favorite entry yet. Miniature walking eyeballs? How delightfully creepy!

 
At Sun Dec 09, 08:15:00 AM, Blogger Dr. Zaius said...

FranIAm: Jeepers, thanks!

Splotchy: What an excellent meme you have come up with.

Jon the Intergalactic Gladiator: You just start your story from here, and then tag as many people as you want! The bruise on your foot will have to find it's own meme.

BAC: It sure does! That's great, we get to meet your doggies!

Freida Bee: Ack! Where did you learn to speak Question Mark with an accent? ;o)

Liberality: No rush! This meme has no deadline.

Randal Graves: Creepy eyeballs that can walk - icky and mobile!

 
At Sun Dec 09, 11:28:00 AM, Blogger Fran said...

I just realized... where in the H-E-double hockey sticks did you get my actual eye and photoshop those damned arms and legs onto it?????

 
At Mon Dec 10, 07:40:00 AM, Blogger Dr. Zaius said...

I found it in the apple sauce, of course. Where else?

 
At Tue Dec 11, 11:55:00 AM, Blogger Jon the Intergalactic Gladiator said...

I continued yon meme. Read it here.

 
At Tue Dec 11, 07:09:00 PM, Blogger Life As I Know It Now said...

well, I have posted my follow up. your eyeball made it a bit difficult but I think I've gotten around it.

 
At Wed Dec 12, 06:09:00 AM, Blogger Dr. Zaius said...

Jon the Intergalactic Gladiator: Ack! That's great! The eyeball can talk! And grant wishes! You made a great picture for the story, as well.

Liberality: I loved it! I guess that a eyeball with legs can make anyone doubt their own existance. I tried to leave a comment over there, but I kept getting an error message. It must be because I am on dial up right now. I'll go back later. I read Carlos Castaneda books back in the seveties as well. In the last sentance you show empathy for the eyeball. ;o)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Newer Posts  |  Older Posts