Minister of Science and Chief Protector of the Faith

Saturday, December 06, 2008

Who Should Do Your Portrait?

 
Jack Kirby: 'The Fourth Dimension is a Many Splattered Thing!'

Karla over at Rabbits, Toyen, and So Forth has taken some time away from editing her dissertation and medicating her bunnies to present one of the most interesting blog memes I have seen in a while, "Who Should Do Your Portrait?" [ 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ]

The idea is that you choose the artist that you would most like to have do your portrait. This can be very telling on a personal basis, as your choice not only reflects which artist that you happen to like, but also reveals details about how you would like to be portrayed. Leave a comment on her blog about which artist you would choose to portray you!

I decided on comic book artist Jack Kirby, because although Steve Romita draws the best Gwen Stacy and Mary-Jane Watson (and the best Aunt May, for that matter), there can be now doubt that Jack Kirby pens the most awesome super villains of all time.

Nobody can portray Dr. Doom, Galactus or the Silver Surfer better than Jack Kirby. I was looking for a link to an image of one of Kirby's incredible Dr. Doom panels when I came across an early Kirby story, "The Fourth Dimension is a Many Splattered Thing!" (Via Cartoon Snap.) This story is amazing! He has certainly taken the idea of interdimensional dating to a new level.

For those that don't know, Karla is a very dear and close friend that I've known for over 20 years. she gave me my pet rabbit, the infamous Fierce, Bad Rabbitoid. (I think that she is still a little miffed that I now have a cat.)

 

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

10 Comments:

At Sat Dec 06, 09:31:00 AM, Blogger Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

I choose Bill Sienkiewicz to do mine.

 
At Sat Dec 06, 09:45:00 AM, Blogger Karla said...

Dr. Zaius's choice was truly inspired, even surreal. And I was even able to pair it with a vote for the brilliant Czech caricaturist Adolf Hoffmeister!

 
At Sun Dec 07, 02:20:00 AM, Blogger Odile said...

I would like than John Cassaday do mine; he´s alive and I do really like his job in "Planetary".

 
At Sun Dec 07, 10:51:00 AM, Blogger chaos4700 said...

I've always been partial to Edward Hopper myself. I suppose it's because of his use of color and shading gives his paintings such a vibrant, pure quality.

And not to derail a perfectly apolitical discussion, but does anyone else think that guy on the right in the "Fourth Dimension" panel kind of looks like Joe Liebermen? I sense much photoshop potential in this frame. :)

 
At Sun Dec 07, 12:14:00 PM, Blogger Karla said...

Some links to the artists would be appreciated by the overworked curator here. (I do have plenty of Hopper on hand.) I guess I'll do a special post on the preferences of the readers here since they are a unique breed.

 
At Sun Dec 07, 02:13:00 PM, Blogger Utah Savage said...

I'll now head out to have my portrait painted.

 
At Sun Dec 07, 02:22:00 PM, Blogger Life As I Know It Now said...

nothing so high and mighty for me--the person who does the Cathy cartoon strip would suit me fine I do believe.

 
At Mon Dec 08, 12:50:00 PM, Blogger dguzman said...

Cool link, Dr! Thanks! In return, I'm coughing the Splotchy story virus onto your tender and exposed mucus membranes. Check my impeachment bloggy for details.

 
At Tue Dec 09, 12:14:00 PM, Blogger Dr. Zaius said...

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein: Good choice! But you should write a little paragaph about why this is the artist to best portray you, and put it in the comments over at Karla's blog!

Karla: Jack Kirby and Adolf Hoffmeister - I think that this pairing will be a first!

Odile: Another comic book artist! Great minds think alike! But you should write a little paragaph about why this is the artist to best portray you, and put it in the comments over at Karla's blog!

chaos4700: I have never thought of Edward Hopper as a artist that did portraits, but I have always liked his work. He creates such a great atmosphere in the mood of his paintings. you should write a little paragaph about why this is the artist to best portray you, and put it in the comments over at Karla's blog!

Oh, and screw Lieberman. I'll be damned if I am going to waste Jack Kirby's talents on that little turd polisher!

Karla: I know. I don't know what to tell you. They were supposed to go over to your blog and leave comments!

Utah Savage: Ah, but by whom? That is the question! :o)

Liberality: Ack! Another cartoonist! Geat choice. I have always loved that strip. But you should write a little paragaph about why this is the artist to best portray you, and put it in the comments over at Karla's blog!

dguzman: Ack! I'll get right to work on it!

 
At Tue Dec 09, 01:18:00 PM, Blogger Karla said...

I am keeping a close eye on this space.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Newer Posts  |  Older Posts