Minister of Science and Chief Protector of the Faith

Sunday, January 08, 2012

The Best Way to Review a Television Program, With Zaius Nation

 
Until recently, I have faithfully watched 30 Rock once a week for years.

Now Comedy Central plays two episodes of 30 Rock every weekday!

I love all of the characters on 30 Rock, especially Vice President of East Coast Television and Microwave Oven Programming Jack Donaghy [ 2 ] and the star of The Girlie Show, Jenna Maroney [ 2, 3, 4 ].

One of the greatest things about Comedy Central playing reruns of one of my favorite TV shows is that I can now sing the theme song to 30 Rock to my kitty 10 times a week instead of only once!

While watching television, the most important part of watching any TV series is singing the theme music to your cat, of course. If your cat likes it when you sing the theme music from a TV show to him, then it must be a pretty good show. (This is the secret to finding good television programming!) The greatest things about singing to your cat are:

1. They actually like silly lyrics, as long as the lyrics are about them.
2. They don't care if you have a terrible singing voice.
3. Sometimes they even sing along!

So in keeping with my tradition of singing television theme music to my cat, I've been singing the theme music to 30 Rock to my cat, Captain Nemo:

Ne-Mo
Na-Na-Na-Nemo
Na-Na-Na-Na
(na-na-na-na-na, na-na-na-na-na)
Ne-MO!
Na-Na-Na-Nemo
Na-Na-Na-Na
(brief staccato bass section)
Na-Na-Na-Na-Na-Na-Na-Na-Na-Ne-MO!

I only sing the horn section of the 30 Rock music to my cat. I don't sing the staccato string section nor the percussion section during the themes brief introduction because, as we all know, that would be silly.

Sadly, I think that I have seen every episode of 30 Rock at least twice, so I shall have to wait until the show returns to NBC prime time on Thursday, January 12.

In the meantime, Santa brought me the boxed set of all three seasons of Kung Fu!

No, wait... I'm sorry. I meant this boxed set...

So naturally I've been singing the sorrowful and slightly racist theme music to the awesome television show Kung Fu to my cat. The signature of the theme is as follows, which is repeated during the introduction as well as during the ending credits of the show:

Neee-MO-nemo
Nemo nemo-nemo-NE-mo-nemo
Ne-mo-nemo-neee-moo-nemo
nemo-nemo-Ne-ee-MOO!

and then comes the part where Master Kan says, "As quickly as you can, snatch the pebble from my hand...", Which I find is a very appropriate time for a vigorous kitty back rub, followed by a methodical skritching behind the kitty's ears.

What television theme songs have you been singing to your cat?


 

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

8 Comments:

At Sun Jan 08, 06:11:00 PM, Blogger Laura said...

Will you be mad at me if I admit to never having seen a full episode of 30 Rock?
I love Alec Baldwin but cannot stand Tina Fey. (sorry!)

I'll make you some peanut butter cups to make up for being so evil. :)

((Hugs))
Laura

 
At Mon Jan 09, 01:57:00 PM, Blogger ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

That lunch box is awesome.
~

 
At Mon Jan 09, 04:39:00 PM, Blogger Kelly the little black dog said...

I only recently discovered Thirty Rock (when it started being broadcast on Comedy Central) and its far better than I could have imagined. So even if you don't like Tina, give it a try.

 
At Mon Jan 09, 07:12:00 PM, Blogger Tengrain said...

Dr. Zaius,

I used to sing to my late pygmy urban wolf, Thurber. It usually got him off the couch so I could watch 30 Rock.

He did pay unusual attention to National Geographic anytime a Wildebeast got eaten (weekly, I think). That was his favorite show. Oh, and he used to growl at the dog on Frazier.

Regards,

Tengrain

 
At Wed Jan 11, 07:23:00 PM, Blogger JustJoeP said...

30R is indeed awesome. The Christmas Attack Zone Episode made Dr Desert Flower laugh so hard, she literally rolled on the floor, in uncontrollable fits of hilarity. Donaghy, Lemon, and Kenneth make the show. Jenna is over-the-top in a likable way, but Tracy's stupidity I often fast-forward through on my DVR. Dot Com and Grizz are great in their own right.

It is good to know other intelligent apes enjoy the same sitcoms.

 
At Thu Jan 12, 08:25:00 AM, Blogger JustJoeP said...

...and I am curious why Laura detests Tina Fey. Is it Fey's midwestern-ness? (She's from Evanston IL, just north of Chicago). Her self deprecation? Her geekiness? Her lack of cockyness or arrogance?

She is a polarizing person, I've got co-workers who have expressed the same antipathy towards her. I just don't understand why, and no one has been able to explain it to me yet.

 
At Thu Jan 12, 05:07:00 PM, Blogger Laura said...

@ JustJoe~ I'm not exactly sure if I can put my finger on it. I just don't find her to be as funny as she "thinks" she is. So, perhaps from that it would be an arrogance thing. But.. Alex B. is EXTREMELY arrogant and I still like him...

Sure I've had a laugh at things she's said she's not un-funny. I just never could get on board with everyone thinking she was really great.
Hard to explain. We all have our likes and dislikes. Chalk it up to personal preferance. :)

 
At Mon Jan 30, 04:01:00 PM, Blogger Dr. Zaius said...

Laura: I am sorry that you don't like 30 Rock. What about Kung Fu? :o)

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®©: I know, right? :o)

Kelly the little black dog: The bad thing about 30 Rock is there isn't enough episodes! :o)

Tengrain: Singing to your cat (or your pygmy urban wolf, almost cat) is both therapeutic and medicinal. And they love it! ;o)

JustJoeP: The Christmas Attack Zone Episode was great! although boring at times - Tracy can be awesome, but I find that I like Jenna more and more. She is so deliciously self centered! ;o)

JustJoeP: I don't understand this phenomena myself, although I have witnessed this polarization as well. :o\

Laura: Would you like her more if she was Canadian, like captain Kirk? ;o)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Newer Posts  |  Older Posts