Minister of Science and Chief Protector of the Faith

Wednesday, August 29, 2007

It's Gonna be the Best Surge Ever! Part II

 
The White House is determined to get another $50 billion for the surge in Iraq, and is willing to use as much anecdotal evidence and unsupported statistics as it takes to get it! The surge is working so well that sectarian attacks in Iraq have nearly doubled in the past year!

Luckily Gen. David Petraeus has been able to get the recent intelligence assessment of Iraq toned down:

The NIE, requested by the White House Iraq coordinator, Lt. Gen. Douglas E. Lute, in preparation for the testimony, met with resistance from U.S. military officials in Baghdad, according to a senior U.S. military intelligence officer there. Presented with a draft of the conclusions, Petraeus succeeded in having the security judgments softened to reflect improvements in recent months, the official said. CBS News

With a little luck, and a heaping helping of creative rhetoric and Petraeus can convince congress and the American public that it will be $50 billion well spent!

[...] [Petraeus has] obviously been treating the September report like a military operation, trying to generate as much good press and congressional change of heart as he possibly can in the weeks leading up to 9/11. I now expect him to provide just the opposite of what I thought before: a consistently upbeat report studded with just enough accomodations to reality to keep him from seeming completely ridiculous. CBS News


 

Labels:

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

5 Comments:

At Wed Aug 29, 04:43:00 PM, Blogger Mark said...

Dear Dr. Z, By my calculations (granted, I was always math slacker) the new and improved surge will cost me (and you and everybody) 166.66. I don't think I can afford it. I was saving that money to contribute to the Iran war.

 
At Wed Aug 29, 05:05:00 PM, Blogger Jon the Intergalactic Gladiator said...

That's a lot of beer.

Of course, you can also add the higher oil prices and the higher tax burden on the middle class to that too. Where does that put that price tag now? I'm not sure that I want to know.

 
At Thu Aug 30, 12:18:00 AM, Blogger Swinebread said...

This is the war on crack

 
At Thu Aug 30, 01:35:00 AM, Blogger Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

Too darn good. Way to go Doc.

 
At Thu Aug 30, 07:55:00 AM, Blogger Dr. Zaius said...

Mark: LOL! How are we ever going to afford Iran, after we have blown all of our money in Iraq? $166.66! Why, that is my entire Reese's Peanut Butter Cup budget for the month! I can't afford that.

Jon the Intergalactic Gladiator: I agree, that a lot of beer. The oil prices and the higher tax burden on the middle class are only the beginning of our financial woes. And the price tag in human lives is even higher and more difficult to bear.

Swinebread: I am not sure that i understand the reference, but OK. :o)

Dr. Monkerstein: I think that you and I are the only ones that truly appreciate the "Beverly Hills Cop" reference, Doctor.

FranIAm: Heartfelt and well put, FranIAm. It is hard to imagine the aftermath of this administration, but I think that you are right - it will take generations to heal these wounds.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Newer Posts  |  Older Posts