Minister of Science and Chief Protector of the Faith

Wednesday, March 12, 2008

What Was On TV Last Night

 
Nancy Drew TrailerNancy Drew's Secret Identity

Last night I watched "Nancy Drew" on VOD. (I think that Dr. Monkerstein had given the film a thumbs up, but I was unable to find his review when I looked for it.)

Right off the bat, let me say that there were not nearly enough miniskirts and go go boots in this film to suit my tastes. (Although Ms. Drew's stripey party dress was hilarious.) Nancy Drew is supposed to be old enough to drive a car in the film, but the actress looks like she is about twelve years old and needs to eat on a more regular basis. This is a kids film, so you have to check your prurient interests at the door.

The premise of the film was Ferris Buehler for girls, with a combination of Daphne and Velma from Scooby Doo/Mystery Inc. thrown in. (perhaps it's the other way around, probably both genres stole from the original Nancy Drew/Hardy Boys mysteries to a degree.) It also had many aspect's of the classic Hayley Mills film Pollyanna as well.

It was actually refreshing to see a female lead who was smarter than all of the other characters, and who's purpose in the script is not directly related to being a lover, wife or mother. Not that those are not noble roles in life, but rarely do we see women playing any other kind of role.

The only complaint might be that the other female roles in the film are intentionally dumbed down to make Nancy Drew look smart and men are basically characterized as dimwitted and ineffective, but this not a drama. It is a tongue-in-cheek comedy, so it's OK to turn the tables on the stereotypes. It actually part of what makes it interesting.

The main joy of the film is from the smarmy and campy dialog. I usually sit at the computer while I'm watching TV, so I'm doing two things at once. I found myself constantly stopping the VOD and rewinding to catch the dialog, "What! Did they really say that?" My favorite lines were when Corky said, "courtesy is so awsome, I'm really into it," and when Inga said, "That's so non-linear."

Nancy Drew on evil villians:

Nancy Drew
Nancy Drew: It really gets my goat when someone trys to kill me. It's so rude!

Nancy Drew on terrorism:

Nancy Drew
Nancy Drew: Excuse me, I have to defuse this bomb.

Nancy Drew on performing a tracheotomy:

Nancy DrewNancy Drew: I need a knife and a ball point pen. I'd like to remind everyone that unless you have advanced emergency medical training, you must never attempt this on your own.

Nancy Drew on romance:

Nancy Drew
Nancy Drew: Ned can I ask you a question?

Nancy Drew
Ned Nickerson: Uhm...

Nancy DrewNancy Drew: Can you tell when a girl looks at you and is thinking how much she likes you and is wondering if you like her and thinking how important it is for you to say how you feel before she says anything more about how she feels about you or anyone else they might be jealous of because she's already said how she feels how she's said in her own way?

Nancy Drew
Ned Nickerson: Uh, can you repeat the question?

Most disturbing line in the film:

Nancy Drew
Nancy Drew: Hey guys, we're having a taffy pull later!

 

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

7 Comments:

At Wed Mar 12, 09:26:00 AM, Blogger Ubermilf said...

I have personal reasons for loving this film.

ÜberElder is not a little fluffy blonde girl who wants to be a princess and squeals at the sign of a bug.

Nor is she an athletic tomboy.

Nor is she introverted or unfeminine.

She is a little brainiac who squealed with delight upon receiving a real, working microscope for her 6th birthday, yet has clear ideas about how she likes her hair done and had a crush on Jimmy Neutron when she was 4.

Other than Nancy Drew, can you name a character she can identify with?

 
At Wed Mar 12, 10:20:00 AM, Blogger Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

I have not actually seen this film and that's why you could not find a review of it on my blog. However, I may have to see it now.

 
At Wed Mar 12, 12:49:00 PM, Blogger mwb said...

Now on my list.

I noticed recently that netflix has the 1970s Hardy Boys (Shaun Cassidy and Parker Stevenson) and Nancy Drew (Pamela Sue Martin) Mysteries series up on their instant view. Which I really have to check out too.

 
At Thu Mar 13, 06:29:00 AM, Blogger Dr. Zaius said...

Übermilf: Ack! She is Nancy Drew! Careful, when she starts sleuthing your life will be in a constant state of turmoil. I thought of my little sister when I saw the film. She was very like your daughter when she was growing up.

Dr. Monkerstein I thought you had reviewed it! That's why I watched it. I think that you might enjoy it. It's silly, though.

MWB's World: You never cease to frighten me with your ability to call up the scariest moments in television, MWB.

 
At Thu Mar 13, 07:05:00 PM, Blogger mwb said...

"You never cease to frighten me with your ability to call up the scariest moments in television, MWB."

The scariest moments in TV (especially 50s - 70s) are often the best!

That I had a wicked crush on Pamela Sue Martin in that show made it must see TV for me.

 
At Fri Mar 14, 07:18:00 AM, Blogger Dr. Zaius said...

I know what you mean. A pretty actress will make me watch the most damnably awful crap.

 
At Fri Mar 14, 07:19:00 AM, Blogger Dr. Zaius said...

Of course, bad special effects and cheesy monster make up has the effect on me!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Newer Posts  |  Older Posts