Minister of Science and Chief Protector of the Faith

Thursday, May 22, 2008

The Awesome Speaking Styles of John McCain and Floyd R. Turbo

 

Will somebody please post some videos on YouTube of Johnny Carson performing as the character Floyd R. Turbo? We desperately need a mash-up video of Senator John McCain delivering a speech and Floyd R. Turbo giving one of his editorial messages.

I'm not suggesting that the content of McCain's speeches are as ridiculous as Floyd R. Turbo's pre-Limbaugh dittohead ramblings, but both McCain and Carson's character both have a priceless way of gesturing at the wrong time when they speak that is hilarious! I wish I could describe it properly, but it is strictly a visual gag. For the character of Floyd R. Turbo, it went something like this:

Floyd R. Turbo: ...And if you...

(Brief pause)

(Turbo then points to the audience to emphasize the word "you")

(Brief pause)

Floyd R. Turbo: ...Are a true American, then you will agree...

John McCain does the same thing during his speeches repeatedly, except in McCain's case when he gestures or uses body language to emphasize a point at the wrong time, he is not doing it to be funny - he is literally 'pulling a Turbo':

Senator John McCain: ...And let me tell you, my friends...

(Brief pause)

(McCain then raises his arms and gestures to the audience to emphasize the phrase "my friends")

(Brief pause)

Senator John McCain: ...let me give you some straight talk...

I used to watch Johnny Carson with my dad when I was a kid, and my dad and I always thought that the Floyd R. Turbo character was the funniest thing on the show. At the time I didn't really understand that the demographic group that Carson was poking fun at really existed. I just found it funny because the character was such a doofus.

Does anybody have any old video tapes of the Johnny Carson show? Just a brief clip of Floyd R. Turbo gesturing at the inappropriate time alongside a clip of McCain doing the same thing would be hilarious! Unfortunately, it's a sight gag - it just doesn't translate well to text.


By the way, The "R" in Floyd R. Turbo stands for "Arthur."
 

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

10 Comments:

At Thu May 22, 07:18:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You nailed it!

And what's up with the pundits and media bimbos and mimbos who like to pretend that McCain is funny when he goes on Letterman or SNL. People - he'd reading lines written by writers who are funny. But McCain funny? I'm thinking Bomb, Bomb Bomb, Bomb, Bomb Iran.

Not funny. Not funny at all.

 
At Thu May 22, 08:50:00 AM, Blogger Kulkuri said...

Is the R for Arthur like two of the three R's in Reading, Writing and Arithmetic??

 
At Thu May 22, 09:58:00 AM, Blogger Unconventional Conventionist said...

How astute! The medulla and the oblongata ARE all the same!

If you're looking for brains in the Republicans in the Senate, you will find them more quickly if you ask such senators to bend over.

 
At Thu May 22, 10:01:00 AM, Blogger Unconventional Conventionist said...

Whoops! Wrong thread! Neither my medulla or oblongata appear to be working properly!

Those Carson gags were a hoot. I wish I could find one for you.

 
At Thu May 22, 10:03:00 AM, Blogger Randal Graves said...

Oh man, that brings back memories. And one more thing about The Maverick®'s attempts at hilarity. Is it just me, or when he laughs and his mouth does that weird scrunched up thing, he looks like he's trying to stifle letting one rip?

 
At Thu May 22, 10:40:00 AM, Blogger Ubermilf said...

If only Johnny Carson looked more like the gopher from "Caddyshack"...

 
At Thu May 22, 01:45:00 PM, Blogger dguzman said...

If only McCain could go the way of Floyd R. Turbo, may he rest in peace.

 
At Thu May 22, 07:14:00 PM, Blogger Billy Miller said...

Young ape, I live in Floyd (VA) an' roun' these parts we don' take kindly to strangers makin' fun of our turbos, thank you kindly. Good luck anyways.

 
At Thu May 22, 09:39:00 PM, Blogger BAC said...

Dr. Z,

Floyd R. Turbo was a fun character. What's even more fun is that I remember the days before Reagan did away with the Fairness Doctrine, and in Indiana we would have farmers in their overalls come on to deliver an editorial reply. I miss those days.


BAC

 
At Fri May 23, 12:44:00 PM, Blogger Dr. Zaius said...

DCup: To be fair, Obama isn't very funny either. He can be sort of stiff. But he is genuine! McCain will never come off as genuine.

Kulkuri: Exactly!

Unconventional Conventionist: Indeed! You do seem to know your Republican anatomy quite well.

Unconventional Conventionist: Thanks! I really think that it would be a funny video...

Randal Graves: Yes, I think you are right about The Maverick®'s weird scrunched that up thing he does. I guess that's what the diapers are for!

Übermilf: You want him to look more like the gopher from "Caddyshack"? He already looks like Darth Sidious!

Dguzman: I don't mean John McCain any harm. Anyway, I like him as a Republican candidate - he should be easy to beat!

Billy Miller: It's OK! Floyd R. Turbo is a HOLLYWOOD Turbo.

BAC: I know what you mean. Compared to the Bush upheaval, Reagan days look pretty good!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Newer Posts  |  Older Posts