Minister of Science and Chief Protector of the Faith

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

The Go-Go's - They've Got the Beat!

 
"Our Lips Are Sealed" [ 2, 3, 4 ]
"We Got The Beat" [ 2 ]
"Get up and Go"
"Head Over Heels"
"Vacation" [ 2 ]
"Turn To You"
"Can't Stop the World"
Lust to love [ 2 ]
Tonight
"Yes or No"
I Think I Need Sleep
We don't get along
Whole World Lost Its Head
Let's Get Together (The Parent Trap)
Surf City
Dancing With Myself
I wanna be sedated
Go-Gos Montage
Good Morning America Oct 1994
Kids: "We Got The Beat"

When I was in high school, none of my friends would ever admit to owning a copy of a Go-Go's album, even when I inevitably found a Go-Go's album in their record stack.

It just wasn't cool to own a girl's pop bubblegum album. I always heard the same excuse about Go-Gos albums, "Oh, it belongs to my sister," "Somebody gave it to me," or "How did that get in there?"

When I took their Go-Go's albums out of the sleeves, the same tracks would invariably be worn down to scratchy obscurity, regardless of who's album it was. Songs like "We Got The Beat" and "Our Lips Are Sealed" were universal teen anthems.

You would always hear the Go-Go's played as dance music at high school parties, where a lamp always got broken, some guy always puked, a girl always cried - and the bathrooms were always occupied. Some moron would always put Yes or Journey on the stereo, and those bands would be quickly ousted for some proper upbeat dance music, like the Go-Go's. Now the party could get started!

All of the women in the band were immediately hot just because they were in an all girl rock group, but Belinda Carlisle was extra prom queen yummiliscious wonderful! She wore cut-up sweatshirts and capri pants, truncated sweaters or tiny summer dresses.

Belinda danced in her own unique "girls just gotta have fun" style. All lead vocalists have the dilemma of what to do with their hands while they sing, whether or not to dance, or tap their foot, or stand stock still - or whatever. Belinda Carlisle had her own retro-beatnik love goddess shuffle. She would swing her torso to the left and lift her right leg, and then reverse it, over and over. Sometimes she would clap or snap her fingers as well.

It sounds so simple! But it was different and playful, and she was delicious with every step! She always looked casual, fun loving and most importantly cool. Not an aloof punk rocker cool, but a "girls have way more fun than guys" cool. She knew a secret and she was letting you in on it, with a knowing sideways glance and a sly endearing smile.

The Go-Go's!

According to Wikipedia, the Go-Go's made "rock history as the first all-woman band that wrote their own songs and played their own instruments to top the Billboard charts with a number-one album."

Another interesting fact is that Go-Go's guitarist and vocalist Jane Wiedlin played Joan of Arc in "Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure". She helped the "Wyld Stallyns" find the key to world peace and ultimate truth! And she also helped Bill and Ted finish their history report, of course.

Oh, and a very young Rob Lowe is featured in the gender-bending 1984 music video for "Turn To You".




This is a Zaius Nation update.
 

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

21 Comments:

At Tue May 20, 07:46:00 AM, Blogger pissed off patricia said...

Oh, you are serious?

 
At Tue May 20, 08:16:00 AM, Blogger Devilham said...

Gender bending Rob Lowe is giving me the creeps, why did he steal Belinda's T-shirt?

I loved the Go-Go's, Jane Weidlan could have her way with me at any time.

 
At Tue May 20, 08:58:00 AM, Blogger Ubermilf said...

I was in junior high when this stuff came out.

You're old.

ha ha

 
At Tue May 20, 09:15:00 AM, Blogger Randal Graves said...

I always think of Fast Times at Ridgemont High.

 
At Tue May 20, 09:35:00 AM, Blogger Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

Mmmmm, the Go Go's.

 
At Tue May 20, 10:18:00 AM, Blogger Unconventional Conventionist said...

Love those Go Go's. As well as Bananarama, which I would assume you would not be against.

 
At Tue May 20, 10:32:00 AM, Blogger mwb said...

A little too pop for my taste, but still kind of fun. I was way more into the Slits and Siouxsie and the Banshees.

 
At Tue May 20, 12:13:00 PM, Blogger darkblack said...

You've set the Ape Revolution back 5 minutes with this gossamer frippery, Zaius.

;>)

 
At Tue May 20, 12:50:00 PM, Blogger Dean Wormer said...

Belinda Carlisle.

I had such a crush on her.

Memories...

 
At Tue May 20, 01:23:00 PM, Blogger dguzman said...

Oh, Dr. Zaius. I can't stand to listen to them now, but when I first heard and saw them playing their own instruments, I vowed I too would learn. I taught myself bass and lead guitar, joined bands, etc. Those were the days.

 
At Tue May 20, 02:13:00 PM, Blogger Claire said...

I love the Go Gos! Awesome post.

 
At Tue May 20, 02:36:00 PM, Blogger Tengrain said...

Someday, Zaius, I'll have to tell you about the summer I accidentally stalked the Go-Gos.

Er, I swear it was an accident. Really. Kinda.

Regards,

Tengrain

 
At Tue May 20, 06:52:00 PM, Blogger Steve said...

You are teh greatest Ape past present or future
I loved the Go GO's and Belinda is pidoliscious

 
At Tue May 20, 07:02:00 PM, Blogger Jon the Intergalactic Gladiator said...

I once heard that Belinda Carlisle peed in an ice cube tray. Is that crazy or what?

 
At Tue May 20, 07:23:00 PM, Blogger Mauigirl said...

Dr. Z, you're not old! My era was the 60's and 70's! Although I was still out partying during the 80's so I know the Go-Gos and the Cars and all the others too.

 
At Tue May 20, 11:28:00 PM, Blogger Kelly the little black dog said...

You young punk! ;) - we were in college, so we didn't have to deny liking them along with the B52's, Oingo Boingo, the Pretenders, the Cars, the Tubes, ... Ah real dance music.

 
At Wed May 21, 01:05:00 AM, Blogger GETkristiLOVE said...

Oh, I love me some Go-Gos. I can sing all the words, baby!

 
At Wed May 21, 08:33:00 AM, Blogger Dr. Zaius said...

Pissed Off Patricia: But of course! (I am guessing that you are one of those people that never actually admit to owning a copy of a Go-Go's album, even when others inevitably find a Go-Go's album in your record stack.)

Devilham: Jane Weidlan is great! I think that Rob Lowe's appearance in that video was very early in his career. I think that the only thing that he ever did that was worth a damn was the film [ "The Specials" 2 ].

Übermilf: Really? Males get distinguished with age, but what is it that women get with age? Oh, that's right! Underpaid! Ha ha!

Randal Graves: I loved that movie! I still want a pair of checkered Vans!

Dr. Monkerstein: Indeed! I updated the post because the old post had a lot of dead links.

Unconventional Conventionist: I love Bananarama! Nathan Jones s around here somewhere...

MWB: Punk, Gothic and disinterested is fine, but the Go-Go's are forever!

Darkblack: To each his own. There is more to life than grunge and angst, though. ;o)

Dean Wormer: I dated a girl in high school that looked like Belinda Carlisle. **sigh** Memories...

Dguzman: COOL! That makes you immediately hot, you know! There is nothing as hot as a girl with an electric guitar!

CDP: Thanks, Aunt Dahlia!

Kevin: I remember that story from the last time I posted this! You should do a post on your blog about the story.

Pidomon: Ha! "pidoliscious!" I love it!

Jon the Intergalactic Gladiator: OK, that just weird!

Mauigirl: Thanks, Mauigirl! You are as young as your underpants, I always say!

Kelly the dog: I remember the B52's, Oingo Boingo, the Pretenders, the Cars, and the Tubes! The Pretenders were the most awesome of that group, IMHO.

GETkristiLOVE: Yay! We should go Go-Go's karaoke-ing together! You have excellent taste. :o)

 
At Thu May 22, 02:59:00 PM, Blogger Tengrain said...

OK Zaius, I'll spill. I was working that summer as a trainer, and out of some strange twist of fate, all my assignments were in the same towns on the same days as the Go-Go's Serious Barbecue Tour.

As I used to do back then, at the end of the class I'd ask the students (who were my age - what a scam!) what they were going to do for fun that night and try to have someone to hang out with, and so for a series of cities between Los Angeles and somewhere in Texas I went to see the Go-Gos.

And because I was living out of my suitcase, I generally was wearing the exact same outfit. And because I was totally in love with the Go-Gos, I always got up front - so I was easy to spot. And finally one day, Belinda spotted me and said something like, "You! Are you stalking me?!"

Somewhere in my basement, I have a Serious Barbecue Tour wife beater shirt that one of the Roadies gave me after that.

See it was sort of, totally by accident. Kind of.

 
At Fri May 23, 12:56:00 PM, Blogger Dr. Zaius said...

That's a great story! I still say you should do a post about it on your blog. You have to find the shirt and post a picture of it!

 
At Mon May 26, 05:28:00 AM, Blogger Dr. Zaius said...

I agree! As much as I like the Bangles, The Go-Gos are way cooler.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Newer Posts  |  Older Posts