Minister of Science and Chief Protector of the Faith

Sunday, July 01, 2007

Josie and the Pussy Cats - From Comic Book Rock Teen to Punk Rock Prom Queen

Original Cartoon
Josie and the Pussy Cats - Cartoon Intro
J&Ps: "Inside Outside Upside Down"
J&Ps: "Lie Lie Lie"
Josie and The Pussycats in Outer Space Intro
Josie and the Pussycats Music Video
Horton hears a Who & J&Ps & Scooby Doo
Pictures of Melody from J&Ps
J&Ps: Cartoon Network Bumper
Live action Film
J&Ps: - "Three Small Words"
Josie and the Pussycats trailer
J&Ps: "Real Wild Child" (Gwen Stefani)
J&Ps: "Your a Star" (Gwen Stefani)
J&Ps: - "Pretend to be Nice"
J&Ps: - Fiona Diet Tips
J&Ps: Fiona wants to be loved
J&Ps: - Creepy Ironic Pussycat Fu
Josie and the Pussycats Related Videos
Josie and the Pussycats - Sims
Josie and the Pussycats - Sims2
Hannah & the Pussycats
Lipstick Homicide 6/4
Teen Movie Mashup

When I was a kid, I loved the theme to Josie and the Pussycats! The rest of the show was ok, but when the theme played it was the coolest thing ever! The best part of being a kid was watching Saturday morning cartoons in you PJs, and the best part of Saturday morning was the great bubblegum pop Saturday morning cartoon theme songs, like The theme for The Jackson 5 show, The Osmond Brothers, the Banana Splits, Sugar, Sugar by the Archies, and all of the other great shows.

They used to play one musical number during the show a week, and YouTube has a couple of them, "Inside Outside Upside Down" and "Lie Lie Lie", that seem to have held up quite well, considering that they are musical numbers done for a children's show from so long ago.

Wikipedia has a page on Josie and the Pussycats TV series, and there are numerous Josie and the Pussycats cartoon show fansites [ 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 ]. I Love Cartoons has couple of really neat pieces of Josie fan art [ 1 | 2 | 3 ]. Rhino Records has a record out, "Josie And The Pussycats - Stop Look And Listen: The Capitol Recordings", of some of their hits. If you go to the page, you can listen to some of the 30 second Quicktime audio samples of the songs.

The Josie and the Pussycats "Musical Evolution" Cartoon Network Bumper is absolute genius! I can't recommend this brief clip enough. The filmmakers jump from musical and art syles at a frantic pace to create a seamless little work of art that is just a joy to watch.

If you look up "Josie And The Pussycats" on a search engine, most of your hits will be about the "Josie And The Pussycats" the live action film, though. I thought that the movie was pretty good, but mostly because it starred Rosario Dawson as Valerie and Parker Posey as Fiona. You can read the lyrics for the songs in the movie here. I really liked the two Gwen Stefani songs, "Real Wild Child" and "Your a Star".

It is really fun to watch fans Hannah & the Pussycats and Lipstick Homicide 6/4 do covers of the songs just for the heck of it.

I also found this great clip of a Teen Movie Mashup with the happy endings of the following movies: "16 Candles", "That Thing you Do", "Saved!", "Garden State", "Eternal Sunshine", "Center Stage", "Can't Hardly wait", "Wimbledon", "Benny and Joon", "Bridget Jones' Diary", "Love Actually", "Sense and Sensibility", "Josie and the Pussycats", "From Hell", "10 things I Hate About You", "Clueless", "The Cat's Meow", and "The Chumscrubber". The background music is "head over heels" by the Go-Gos. I really thought that this video was a lot of fun. A whole clip of just happy endings!

Josie and the Pussycats!


UPDATE: Ben Varkentine has added a link to his review of the film.

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

8 Comments:

At Sun Jul 01, 06:55:00 PM, Blogger Ben Varkentine said...

You might find this of interest, Dr...

http://popmatters.com/film/reviews/j/josie-and-the-pussycats.shtml

It's a review I wrote of the movie.

 
At Sun Jul 01, 07:51:00 PM, Blogger Becca said...

OMG! I still watch these cartoons whenever I can catch them on TV. Of course The Pussycats are no Jabberjaw or Funky Phantom.

Funky Phantom now there was a strange, strange cartoon.

 
At Sun Jul 01, 09:47:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dr. Z - you know I'm a sucker for cartoons from our childhood. Fun stuff!

And I love that teen movie mash up.

 
At Sun Jul 01, 09:49:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I never like Josie - I don't know why - but now I am struck by how similarly they are drawn to Scoobie Doo, Where Are You (which of course I loved).

And of course, Scoobie is really Astro from the Jetsons, and the Cats look a lot like...

Regards,

Tengrain

 
At Mon Jul 02, 09:29:00 AM, Blogger Dr. Zaius said...

Ben Varkentine: I posted your link. I actually like the film, though.

Becca: Ack! I have never watched Funky Phantom! I will have to check it out.

DCup: Saturday morning cartoons! Those were the days. I really loved that teen movie mash up as well.

Tengrain: I mostly liked the music. Scoobie, Astro, Josie, Jane and Judy Jetson... They are all a mixed soup of Hannah Barbera scmaltz. I love those old cartoons.

 
At Mon Jul 02, 11:16:00 AM, Blogger Jon the Intergalactic Gladiator said...

I've never been that big of a fan of Josie and the Pussycats.

I love Parker Posey though. How could anyone not?

 
At Tue Jul 03, 11:48:00 AM, Blogger SamuraiFrog said...

In the canon of fictional bands, Josie and the Pussycats rock pretty hard. And Tara Reid was so cute in that movie. "If I could go back in time, I'd want to meet Snoopy!"

 
At Wed Jul 04, 08:53:00 AM, Blogger Dr. Zaius said...

Jon the Intergalactic Gladiator: Yes, I have been a big fan of Parker Posey since the film "Party Girl." She's the ginchiest!

SamuraiFrog: I live that line! "If I could go back in time, I'd want to meet Snoopy!"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Newer Posts  |  Older Posts