Minister of Science and Chief Protector of the Faith

Thursday, September 06, 2007

Bush Cries as Much as Any Other Crocodile

OysterTwo of my favorite books to read over and over again are "Alice in Wonderland" and "Through the Looking Glass". (For a special treat, read the Annotated version for context.) I love these books not just for the wonderful stories told by Lewis Carrol, but also for the incredible woodcuts that were done by John Tenniel.

The rhetoric and policies of those presently in the White House have often been compared to the upside-down logic of Alice's adventures down the rabbit hole and through the looking glass, and for good reason. I was especially struck by similarity of the president's words and those of Lewis Carrol this morning when I read this quote that I found over at Crooks and Liars from Robert Draper's new book, "Dead Certain":

Bush Crying
Bush: "I've got God's shoulder to cry on. And I cry a lot. I do a lot of crying in this job. I'll bet I've shed more tears than you can count, as president."

You may have already read the story of "The Walrus and The Carpenter", but if you are like me you find these words worth rereading from time to time. This biting commentary on the galling hypocrisy of some individuals is as compelling today as it was in 1872.

 

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

5 Comments:

At Thu Sep 06, 12:44:00 PM, Blogger Distributorcap said...

this president has shed as many tears as i have won the lottery..

 
At Thu Sep 06, 12:58:00 PM, Blogger Fran said...

I am really disgusted by what the president says. I am just really disgusted.

I am really in a difficult place with all of this. As are we all in our own way.

As I recount my 9/11 memories from NY on that day, I think of the pivot point that GWB has swung our nation from, in all the wrong directions.

That said, I love the Alice references, quite brilliant (as I have come to expect) Dr. Z.

 
At Thu Sep 06, 04:15:00 PM, Blogger Jess Wundrun said...

Lots of manics and drunks cry. Big whoop, G.

Go back on your meds, give up the beers, and then take a good long look in the mirror. When the awful realization hits that you are not up to the job, you are more than welcome to resign. Yeah, we'll fire Cheney for you.

 
At Thu Sep 06, 05:58:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the story with the woodcuts! I'm a sucker for children's stories.

 
At Fri Sep 07, 11:04:00 AM, Blogger Dr. Zaius said...

Distributorcap: That's funny! The number of times that the president has told the truth about Iraq is the same as the number of times that I've won the lottery too! It's spooky!

FranIAm: The president has run the country into the ground on so many levels. The only people that have benefited from his administration are rich Republicans and Al Quida. It's disgusting to repeatedly hear newscasts where any credence is given to his words at all. It is disgusting and disheartening. It is like any dreams that you might have for yourself or your country have been put on permanent hold while we all collectively hold our breath until the nightmare is over.

Jess Wundrun: I wish that President Bush would take a long hard look in the mirror and consider what he done to the is country, but I am not sure that he actually casts a reflection - if you know what I mean.

DCup: I am a sucker for kids books, especially the classics. And pop-up books! Those are so cool.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Newer Posts  |  Older Posts