Minister of Science and Chief Protector of the Faith

Friday, March 14, 2008

The Book Meme

 
This is a picture of two rats, Mr. and Mrs. Whiskers, making Tom Kitten into a roly-poly pudding.

Aunt Dahlia has tagged me with the Book Meme. The instrctions for this meme are as follows:

1. Pick up the nearest book (of at least 123 pages).
2. Open the book to page 123.
3. Find the fifth sentence.
4. Post the next three sentences.
5. Tag five people.

The book that was closest to me happened to be "Tales of Peter Rabbit and his Friends" by Beatrix Potter. I love the illustrations and the dark humor that Potter often injects into the stories. And old girlfriend gave the book to me years ago. (she also gave me a fine rabbit that was named Rabbitoid.) On Page 123 is the story of "The Roly-poly Pudding," an exciting tale of young Tom Kitten, who is almost made into a roly-poly pudding by two rats, Mr. Samuel Whiskers and his wife Anna Maria.

At this point in the story, two cats are discussing catching and eating baby rats. Page 123, 5th sentence of the book "Tales of Peter Rabbit and his Friends" by Beatrix Potter:

"I caught seven young ones out of one hole in the back kitchen, and we had them for dinner last Saturday. And once I saw the old father rat - and enormous old rat - Cousin Ribby. I was going to jump on him when he showed his yellow teeth at me and whisked down the hole."

"The Rats get upon my nerves, Cousin Ribby," Said Tabitha.

I don't like most children's books as a rule, but I love the classics: Lewis Carrol, Hans Christian Anderson, Beatrix Potter, Aesop's Fables, Grimm's Fairy Tales, etc. I think that many people forget how delightfully horrific and gruesome they are. And the illustrations are often macabre masterpieces!

I tag FranIAm, Skippy the Bush Kangaroo, Darkblack, Liberality and Germaine Gregarious.
 

Labels:

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

11 Comments:

At Fri Mar 14, 07:33:00 AM, Blogger pissed off patricia said...

Fred the Cat was very upset upon viewing that picture. He asked me to tell you those two mice are dreamers at best.

 
At Fri Mar 14, 08:25:00 AM, Blogger Randal Graves said...

Rabbitoid? I always had an inkling that mechanical hares were part of your simian domination plans. No one ever suspects a fuzzy bunny.

 
At Fri Mar 14, 12:34:00 PM, Blogger dguzman said...

I agree completely on the old classic children's books. I loved the illustrations, too. Beautiful.

 
At Fri Mar 14, 02:33:00 PM, Blogger Life As I Know It Now said...

I happen to be in a library at the moment and am surrounded by thousands of books, not really fair now is it, that I should be in such heaven. So, when I return home I will pick up the latest book I happen to be reading and go from there. Excellent choice for the book you have reviewed here. I just love these children's stories. I read them to my own children time and again when they would let me.

 
At Fri Mar 14, 03:45:00 PM, Blogger Claire said...

Excellent choice! For illustrations, the children's books of Arnold Lobel (particularly Frog and Toad) are almost as good as Beatrix Potter.

That would also make a good lol--revenge...we has it.

 
At Sat Mar 15, 08:56:00 AM, Blogger Fran said...

Nice book- good meme.

I have done this one, awhile back actually.

And I have declared myself meme-free for awhile.

It is very hard to refuse your simian charms however. Let me think about it.

 
At Sat Mar 15, 01:04:00 PM, Blogger Dr. Zaius said...

Pissed Off Patricia: Roly-poly pudding made from kittens is a delicacy! You should try it, I won't tell Fred.

Randal Graves: Ha! Better than robots - I just bought giant killer bunnies!

Dguzman: Old classic children's books are often horrific - that's the best part!

Liberality: I can't wait to read yours! Forget the kids, read the "grim" fairy tales to yourself!

CDP: Hmm... I'm not up on Arnold Lobel nor Frog and Toad, I'll have to look into it. Thanks!

FranIAm: Sorry! I didn't realize that you had alread done it. I was just trying to do all my memes. I am terrible about meme-ing.

 
At Mon Mar 17, 11:40:00 PM, Blogger Westcoast Walker said...

I am with you on the classic children's fables - they are brutish, violent and not even remotely concerned with political correctness or "be fair and share".

 
At Tue Mar 18, 10:28:00 AM, Blogger Dr. Zaius said...

If it's Grimm and gruesome, it's for me!

 
At Thu Mar 20, 08:59:00 PM, Blogger Karla said...

Glad to know you're still reading Beatrix Potter. Have you reviewed the Fierce Bad Rabbit lately? (I should read it to Orion next time he chews something expensive. Fpr awhile he was channeling Rabbitoid on the phone cords.)

 
At Fri Mar 21, 10:08:00 AM, Blogger Dr. Zaius said...

"The Fierce Bad Rabbit" is still my favorite story, but it was not on page 123. Modern rabbit's attempts to destroy mankind's communications by chewing through phone cords have been foiled by cell phones! Yay!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Newer Posts  |  Older Posts