Minister of Science and Chief Protector of the Faith

Sunday, February 03, 2008

Teresa Graves in "Get Christie Love!"

 
Pictures: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13

"Get Christie Love!" was a 1974 made-for-TV movie starring Teresa Graves that spawned a short lived television show by the same name. Graves played beautiful black policewoman that goes undercover to break up a drug ring in the film.

I fondly remember this film and TV show, although I was barely old enough to know why she gave me that gooshy feeling in my underpants. At the time Marcia Brady and Laurie Partridge had the same effect on me. At the time I found that I would endlessly imagine myself in impossible and heroic situations with these women where I was invariably suave, witty, strong and protective.

Graves was famous for saying the line, "You're under arrest, sugar!" on the show. She would also wear tight-fitting jeans and a cropped leather jacket. Graves had a delightfully expressive face. At times when she spoke she would pause and narrow her gaze, slightly open her mouth and shift her jaw a bit to the left in a very thoughtful emphasis of her words. She had a very beautiful face and a unique on-screen presence.

I also remember Graves from when she was on "Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In," where she would perform in skits, makes jokes and dance around in brief segments wearing a bikini and with her body garishly painted with clever statements like "Sock it to me!" and "You bet your bippy!".

Graves later abandoned her acting career in to concentrate on her increased involvement with the Jehovah's Witnesses, and to take care of her mother. Apparently she also refused many roles because of her religious convictions.

Graves died tragically in a house fire in 2002, at the age of 54. According to imdb.com, "Firefighters responding to a fire in the Hyde Park section of Los Angeles found Graves unconscious in a bedroom of her home. She was taken to Daniel Freeman Memorial Hospital in nearby Inglewood, where she died. A faulty space heater was determined to be the cause of the blaze."

adherents.com has a reprint of a TV Guide article that's very interesting. Apparently none of her neighbors knew that she was television star when she died.

I had not realized that the show was based on a book by Dorothy Uhnak, "The Ledger", which was adapted for the movie and the TV show. Several of her novels became best-sellers. The author apparently committed suicide.

Wikipedia: Teresa Graves
Wikipedia: Doodletown Pipers [ 2 ]
Wikipedia: Dorothy Uhnak
imdb.com: Teresa Graves - Biography
adherents.com: TV Guide Honors Teresa Graves
The Rap Sheet: The Pioneering Policewoman (About Dorothy Uhnak)

Teresa Graves in 'Get Christie Love!'

This post is for my esteemed colleague Dr. Monkerstein's running mate, GETkristiLOVE, because she did a great post where she made me look like Hong Kong Phooey.
 

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

12 Comments:

At Sun Feb 03, 09:44:00 AM, Blogger Freida Bee said...

Hon Kong Zaius. I never knew. That makes me like you even more.

 
At Sun Feb 03, 10:27:00 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I was about ten and "love"d Christy love.

 
At Sun Feb 03, 12:22:00 PM, Blogger Freida Bee said...

Alright,

Hong, firstly.

I recall Ms. Graves from my formative years. I think she subconsciously set my standards for being a woman (too high perhaps- I'll never have as good kung fu moves as her.)

Thirdly, I finally linked Ms. LOVE. About time.

 
At Sun Feb 03, 03:58:00 PM, Blogger Randal Graves said...

One of my long lost relatives!

 
At Sun Feb 03, 06:56:00 PM, Blogger Fran said...

Oh yes- Christie Love! Brilliant. I wanted to be her. I must have been around 16 or so. I am old.

And Dr. Z, your - um your links are not functioning. There is a little blue pill for that.

Just sayin'!

Mwah, I do love you, you big ape!

 
At Mon Feb 04, 03:55:00 AM, Blogger Distributorcap said...

i mixed her up with Pam Grier

 
At Mon Feb 04, 09:04:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

I vague remember this and loved catching the clips!

Needs to be on DVD.

 
At Mon Feb 04, 09:36:00 AM, Blogger GETkristiLOVE said...

My hero!

Unfortunately, I'm talking about my namesake and not you, but you are one fine ape for commemorating her in this post.

 
At Mon Feb 04, 10:04:00 AM, Blogger BAC said...

I was in my early 20's when this aired, and had quite a crush on Ms. Love. It was truly a ground breaking series.


BAC

 
At Mon Feb 04, 02:46:00 PM, Blogger Dr. Zaius said...

Westcoast Walker: You know, I can't think of anything on TV right now to compare to it either. In Tarantino's film, "Reservoir Dogs", the characters engage in a brief discussion about "Get Christie Love!" Maybe he will revive the series!

Freida Bee: Ha! It was the scurrilous lies of the Monkerstein campaign!

Mathman6293: Me too!

Freida Bee: Kung Fu is always finest in Made-For_tv products. You should go on TV!

Randal Graves: Really? Where?

FranIAm: Oops! Links are fixed. :o(

Distributorcap: At least you didn't mix her up with Rosie Greer!

MWB's World: I think it's available on DVD!

GETkristiLOVE: I used to love this show when I was a kid. It sad how here career ended and her untimely death.

BAC: I had a big crush on Christie Love too!

 
At Mon Feb 04, 05:13:00 PM, Blogger Dean Wormer said...

Beautiful. But I still prefer Nichelle Nichols if we're talking female African American t.v. stars.

Although she didn't kick as much ass on t.v. in real she's a pretty strong personality and very charming.

Yes - I've met her and if you ask me if it was at some sort of nerdy Star Trek thing then I'd plead the Fifth.

 
At Tue Feb 05, 11:19:00 AM, Blogger Dr. Zaius said...

Ah, Nichelle Nichols! She can open all hailing frequencies with me any time. You are very lucky to have met her.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Newer Posts  |  Older Posts