Minister of Science and Chief Protector of the Faith

Monday, February 11, 2008

What Was On TV Last Night

 
"Spellbound" dream sequence
Ingrid falls in love with Gregory
Spellbound (1945) - dinner scene
"Spellbound" Trailer
All of Alfred Hitchcock's cameo appearances

Yesterday Turner Classic Movies played my favorite Alfred Hitchcock film. "Spellbound". It's not my favorite Hitchcock film because it has creepy theramin music, or because it's a great psychological mystery thriller, or because the film stars Ingrid Bergman, or because it has a great love scene with an enigmatic door-opening sequence. "Spellbound" is my favorite Alfred Hitchcock film because it has a haunting dream sequence that was done by Salvadore Dali.


My Mom told me a story years ago about Ingrid Bergman that happened more than a decade before I was born. Some of Petter Lindström's kids (Bergman's first husband), were on the same swim team that my sister was on. My sister is quite an athlete, and used to win innumerable ribbons and trophies on that swim team.

During the making of the 1949 film "Stromboli" in Italy, Bergman fell in love with the director Roberto Rossellini and became pregnant with a son, Roberto Ingmar Rossellini (born February 7, 1950). The scandal that ensued in the United States would seem unthinkable today:


"The pregnancy caused a huge scandal in the United States. It even led to her being denounced on the floor of the U.S. Senate by Edwin C. Johnson, a Democrat senator from Colorado, who referred to her as 'a horrible example of womanhood and a powerful influence for evil.' In addition, there was a floor vote, which resulted in her being made persona non grata. The scandal forced Ingrid Bergman to exile herself to Italy, leaving her husband and daughter in the United States. Her husband, Dr. Petter Lindström, eventually sued for desertion and waged a custody battle for their daughter." wikipedia

My Mom points out this story to me and my sister as one of many examples that she tells of how women's rights were very repressive, even in the very recent past. Of course, women's rights still have a long way to go.

 

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

7 Comments:

At Tue Feb 12, 01:26:00 PM, Blogger Dean Wormer said...

That is an amazing piece of film but while on the subject of Hitchcock--

What do you think of this?

Personally I find it a little disturbing but I can't put my finger on why.

 
At Wed Feb 13, 11:09:00 AM, Blogger Dr. Zaius said...

I saw that on Samurai Frog's page as well. I don't know who any of the people that they are replacing the original actors with. Because I don't know who they are, I found the whole kind of boring.

 
At Wed Feb 13, 01:48:00 PM, Blogger Batocchio said...

As for the spread, ehh, a shout-out to Hitchcock ain't a bad thing.

It really is astounding how Bergman was villified, and I didn't know about that until I was in my 20s, I think. Bergman still does it to me - talented and stunning. (Ingmar, too, but for different reasons. ;-))

Sadly, the dream sequence was a bit cut, but Spellbound's still one of my favorite earlier Hitchcock films.

It's also the most famous performance from brilliant Russian actor and teacher Michael Chekhov. I'm a big fan of his work and technique - as well as Ingrid, and Gregory Peck, and Hitchcock...

 
At Wed Feb 13, 08:05:00 PM, Blogger Life As I Know It Now said...

sounds to me like your Mom is a jem herself. I try to point out to my son how women are still discriminated against and have been in the past. I think the discrimination is so much a part of the culture that people become immune to it, thinking that's just the way it is.

 
At Thu Feb 14, 08:24:00 PM, Blogger Dr. Zaius said...

My Mom is a gem. Thank you!

 
At Fri Feb 15, 08:36:00 PM, Blogger Karla said...

Gives a whole new light on your mom. I just remember her fondness for white furnishings and pants. But she was always nice to me!

 
At Sat Feb 16, 04:09:00 PM, Blogger Dr. Zaius said...

My Mom always liked you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Newer Posts  |  Older Posts