Minister of Science and Chief Protector of the Faith

Thursday, July 03, 2008

Cool Papercraft Models of Huey, Dewey, and Louie from the Film, "Silent Running"

 

After Dean Wormer mentioned the film "Silent Running" in a recent post, I was googling around looking at pictures of the robots from the film, when I found these swell papercraft models of Huey, Dewey, and Louie. Just download the PDF files, cut them out and glue them together! I am going to have to get a new printer soon, because I think that these models are awesome!

Huey (Drone 2)
Dewey (Drone 1)
Louie (Drone 3)

As people just tend to focus on the humans in a movie and just lump all of the mechanical characters into the scenery, I submit this handy guide as to which robot was which in the film:

Huey (Drone 2) was the robot that was damaged in a traffic accident, and later died in a nuclear explosion that destroyed the Valley Forge that was detonated by Lowell to avoid capture from the Valley Forge's sister ship, the Berkshire.

Dewey (Drone 1) was the droid that was left behind to take care of the forest.

Louie (Drone 3) was blown away from the ship (the Valley Forge) while he and the other two drones are outside the ship on maintenance duty, as it passed through the rings of Saturn.

 

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

11 Comments:

At Thu Jul 03, 10:30:00 AM, Blogger Dean Wormer said...

Those are so cool! I think I'll put them together as well.

Weren't there legless little people in those costumes or something? I'm a little hazy on how they did that.

That movie was the first time I remember feeling sad about the fate of a robot.

I felt the same way when Sarah Connor crushed the Terminator.

 
At Thu Jul 03, 12:08:00 PM, Blogger Kelly the little black dog said...

Loved this movie. I'm thinking it was one of the first where you actually felt something for a robot.

 
At Thu Jul 03, 12:11:00 PM, Blogger Kelly the little black dog said...

I think the PDF link is to the wrong thing?

 
At Thu Jul 03, 05:23:00 PM, Blogger darkblack said...

Very cool - thank you, Z.

 
At Fri Jul 04, 10:06:00 AM, Blogger SamuraiFrog said...

They're so neat! I love those little guys!

 
At Fri Jul 04, 09:47:00 PM, Blogger Swinebread said...

I was so mad they stole that ship from Battlestar Galactica... (TEE HEE HEE)

It freaked me out when the other guys were so happy to blow up all the pods

 
At Mon Jul 07, 08:03:00 AM, Blogger Dr. Zaius said...

Dean Wormer: Cool! I hope that you post pictures of your new papercraft model robots! The actors that played the drones were indeed bilateral amputees. Forget Arnold, I fell in love with Sarah Connor!

Kelly the dog: Oops! Thanks, I have fixed the link!

Darkblack: Great! I am glad that you liked them.

SamuraiFrog: Me too!

Swinebread: The scene where the guys laugh when they blow up the pods was sadly very true to human nature. :o(

 
At Mon Jul 07, 02:12:00 PM, Blogger genexs said...

Great post, thanx! Has this film gotten the expanded DVD treatment yet? It should. Years ago (just after the days of Proteus) I knew someone who had a "making of..." documentary film (yes 'film', as my friend showed this to us on a 16mm film projector) for "Silent Running". I recall it featured a clip of Joan Baez recording her part for the film and outtakes of the robots.

Have you seen "Creation of the Humanoids"? That's my all time favorite robot movie.

 
At Wed Jul 09, 04:14:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love that movie. That was before Bruce Dern went all wacky, right?

First time I remember crying to a movie. Both for the droids and for Bruce.

 
At Wed Jul 09, 04:18:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thinking back on it now, though, the thing that bugs me is, where did they get the gravity?

 
At Thu Jul 10, 07:56:00 AM, Blogger Dr. Zaius said...

Genexs: I would have liked to have seen that documentary! And I have never seen "Creation of the Humanoids", either. It looks interesting!

Duros62: I mostly cried for the droids and the forest. It was a great movie. I saw it on TV, I was too young to see it in the theater.

Duros62: Perhaps the gravity of the situation was sufficient? ;o)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Newer Posts  |  Older Posts