Minister of Science and Chief Protector of the Faith

Monday, May 21, 2007

Sandra Lou is retro-hot-pink and fluorescent yellow delicious!

Sandra Lou - Banana Split

I am so glad that Bill O'Reilly has finally lifted his economically crippling ban on the beleaguered French people, because now we can once again enjoy music videos made by French terrorists like Sandra Lou! I can't get Sandra Lou's music video, "Banana Split" out of my head!

Check out those dance moves - she turns left, she turns right, she does the monkey! She does the swim! She does the robot! She bounces up and down! She is wearing a mini-skirt and go-go boots! Sandra Lou is retro-hot-pink and fluorescent yellow delicious! "Ooo-la-la!"

I would sing along, but I don't speak the international language of terrorism, French! I have no idea why I like this song, but it has an infectious quality about. When I first heard it, I just thought it was kind of stupid, but later I felt that it had something that a lot of music is lacking today, enthusiasm.

Now there are those that find all bubblegum pop disagreeable, and to a large degree I would concur. But there are certain classic groups, like the Monkees, the Partridge Family and the Archies that just seem to get better with age, and the music today just doesn't seem to be able to hold a candle to them. All of these bands are like the Beatles, timeless and unique.

I am not comparing Sandra Lou or "Banana Split" to these great old pop groups, but it is certainly a step in the right direction. It is just fun to listen to, and I don't even know what the song is about!

I found this video while I was searching for videos of the Banana Splits. I find that months later I still go back to listen to it. It's just so much fun! It is just silly candy-floss music and a bouncing camera barely focusing on primary colors against a white background, but it works! Maybe that is what's wrong with music nowadays, it's just not as much fun anymore.

The song is not even Sandra Lou's hit, she is doing a cover of an old Lio hit. Lio's version is fun, but Sandra Lou's version steals the show!

So, What is Sandra Lou singing about? I found the lyrics, and it goes like this:

Ça me déplairait pas que tu m'embrasses
NA NA NA
Mais faut saisir ta chance avant qu'elle passe
NA NA NA
Si tu cherches un truc pour briser la glace
BANANA BANANA BANANA

C'est le dessert
Que sert
L'abominable homme des neiges
A l'abominable enfant teenage
Un amour de dessert
BANANA NA NA NA NA BANANA SPLIT

Les cerises confites sont des lipsticks
NA NA NA
Qui laissent des marques rouges sur l'antarctique
NA NA NA
Et pour le faire fondre une tactique
BANANA BANANA BANANA

Baisers givrés sur les montagnes blanches
NA NA NA
On dirait que les choses se déclenchent
NA NA NA
La chantilly s'écroule en avalanche
BANANA BANANA BANANA

So what the heck does that mean? I don't know, I don't speak French! Luckily, Google does:

That would not displease to me that you embrace me
NA NA NA
But is necessary to seize your chance before it passes
NA NA NA
If you seek a trick to break the ice
BANANA BANANA BANANA

It is the dessert
What is useful
The abominable snowman
With the abominable child teenage
A love of dessert
BANANA NA NA NA NA BANANA SPLIT

The crystallized cherries are lipsticks
NA NA NA
Who leave red marks on the Antarctic
NA NA NA
And to dissolve it a tactic
BANANA BANANA BANANA

Kisses frosted on the white mountains
NA NA NA
It would be said that the things start
NA NA NA
Chantilly collapses in avalanche
BANANA BANANA BANANA

Ack! I still don't know what it means! It has something to do with dating, and the Abominable Snowman, and dessert. It is possible that the word Chantilly is used as a double entendre, as it means both a town in France and dessert served with whipped cream, flavored with vanilla. I guess that a lot of the really great bubblegum pop music had crazy sweet-tooth lyrics, like Sugar Sugar.

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

12 Comments:

At Mon May 21, 11:37:00 AM, Blogger Angry Ballerina said...

HAH! Ooodles of niceness.

 
At Mon May 21, 11:46:00 AM, Blogger Evil Spock said...

You should check out The Pipettes. Their super cute and have the whole retro thing going on with their music.

 
At Mon May 21, 11:59:00 AM, Blogger Spocko said...

I'm thinking Alizee is another French singer that needs some serious exposure on your blog.

I'm fed up might be a good one.

 
At Mon May 21, 12:16:00 PM, Blogger Dr. Zaius said...

Angry Ballerina: Isn't she just delicious? I could eat her with spoon. Everything about this video is great.

Evil Spock: Hmm... I will have to look that band up, but first I think that I will listen to Sandra Lou singing "Banana Split" one more time...

Mr.: Hmm... I will have to look that band up, but first I think that I will listen to Sandra Lou singing "Banana Split" one more time...

 
At Mon May 21, 01:32:00 PM, Blogger Ben Varkentine said...

Like, bless you, sir!

 
At Mon May 21, 02:03:00 PM, Blogger SamuraiFrog said...

I CAN'T GET IT OUT OF MY HEAD!!! Nah nah nah nah nah nah!!! Oh, man, that is the definition of infectious! But it's good! What's a period and how do you use it to end a sentence!? Stop now, SF!

 
At Mon May 21, 02:49:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dr. Z -

There are a lot of french idioms in that song. Interestinly, Nana is slang for a slutty girl (although I think that is too harsh a translation, maybe tease or flirty might be better in English).

It is a very double-entendre song. But hella fun.

Regards,

Tengrain

 
At Mon May 21, 03:38:00 PM, Blogger Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

Finally! A song that is almost as good as Shonnen Kinfe's "Banana Chips."

 
At Tue May 22, 06:48:00 AM, Blogger Dr. Zaius said...

Ben Varkentine: So glad you enjoyed it, sir!

SamuraiFrog: LOL! I feel your pain!

Tengrain: Wow! That's great! Bringing some sense to an otherwise incomprehnsible song. That's right! You speak French! Combien de temps avez-vous été un terroriste ? Le stylo est sur la table.

Dr. Monkerstein: Hmm... I will have to look that band up, but first I think that I will listen to Sandra Lou singing "Banana Split" one more time...

 
At Tue May 22, 09:42:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dr. Z -

J'ai parlé français mauvais depuis j'ai été un petit. Ma grandmère était de Nice, ce n'était ma faulte.

Respect,

Tengrain

 
At Thu May 24, 12:29:00 AM, Blogger Karen said...

I'm adding "Sugar Sugar" to my blogger profile under favorite music. Thanks for reminding me.

 
At Thu May 24, 03:55:00 AM, Blogger Dr. Zaius said...

Tengrain: Ainsi vous avez été un terroriste depuis que vous étiez un enfant ? Et votre grand-mère de Nice vous a enseigné à être une terroriste ? C'est intéressant. Je ne sais pas la langue internationale du terrorisme moi-même, j'ai un poisson d'animal de compagnie qui traduit pour moi.

Karen: Isn't it great? I think that "Sugar Sugar" is kind of the pinnacle of bubblegum pop music. It is kind of hard to top the feel-good aura of the song, except maybe ABC. On the other hand, the song is also incredibly silly, sappy and saccharine. It's funny how that works out.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Newer Posts  |  Older Posts