Minister of Science and Chief Protector of the Faith

Wednesday, July 11, 2007

The Bangles: They Know What The Want

"Going Down To Liverpool"
"Manic Monday"
"I'm In Line"
"If She Knew What She Wants" [ 2 ]
"Eternal Flame" [ 2 ]
"Hero Takes a Fall"
"Walk Like an Egyptian"
"Walking Down Your Street" (live)
"Hazy Shade Of Winter" [ 2, 3 ]
"In Your Room"
"Tear Off Your Own Head" (live)
Be With You (live) [ 2 ]
"All Together Now"
"Complicated Girl" (audio)
I'd Love To Kiss The Bangles
TheBangles.com


Going Down To LiverpoolI still remember when I first heard the Bangles. It was was on a lazy rainy afternoon in California back in 1985. The song "Going Down To Liverpool" came on KPFA, and I immediately loved it! Then when their video of the song featured Leonard Nimoy, I knew that this was going to be one of the greatest bands ever.

Susanna HoffsCheck out their mod outfits in the video, "I'm In Line"! yummilicious! But wait, it gets better - in the video for their song "In Your Room" there are Mini-skirts! Go-Go boots! Floppy flower-power hats! Body painting! Sitars! The "Batusi!" Cheesy spiral thingies! Polka dots! Obscure symbolism! Good and bad versions of the band in twin universes co-existing in the same video without imploding! Yipes! The bass player is wearing white stockings! This video has everything.

Michael Steele, AKA Susanne ThomasI think that all of the guys usually had a crush on Susanna Hoffs, but I always had my heart set on the pout-eriffic bass player, Michael Steele, AKA Susanne Thomas. She used to be in the The Runaways!

I did find a few other interesting Bangles related items. The Bangles doing "Good Day Sunshine" (Windows streaming media) via stereogum.com. Also the bangles did a song for the film "Austin Powers" called "Get The Girl". Unfortunately I could only find the lyrics and a short clip of the song on Amazon.com. I also found these great Bangles animated gifs here.

I won't bore you with a history of the band, because you can find all of that on The Bangles website, their My Space page, and also on Wikipedia.

My first Bangles Record

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

9 Comments:

At Wed Jul 11, 11:47:00 AM, Blogger Johnny Yen said...

I love their cover of Simon and Garfunkel's "Hazy Shade of Winter."

I like their versions of "If She Knew What She Wants" and "Goin' Down to Liverpool," but like the originals by Jules Shear and Katrina and the Waves, respectively, a lot too.

"Hero Takes a Fall" is one of my all-time favorites.

And Susana Hoffs was pretty easy on the eyes, wasn't she?

 
At Wed Jul 11, 01:09:00 PM, Blogger SamuraiFrog said...

Oh, man, have I always loved the Bangles! When I was a kid, I had a babysitter who looked just like Susanna Hoffs, and I've been in love with Susanna Hoffs--and babysitters--ever since! Great summer music, Doctor.

 
At Wed Jul 11, 10:41:00 PM, Blogger Splotchy said...

I love "Manic Monday" -- such a pretty song. I guess Prince had recorded a version of it before giving it to the Bangles -- I wonder what his version sounds like.

If you have the inclination, I posted a little thing about The Go-Go's, inspired by your post from about week ago.

 
At Wed Jul 11, 11:33:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is another band that Prince worked with -- some of their hits he wrote for them (Manic Monday for sure).

I never really liked them that much then, but I am liking them more now. James is a great song, and it never gets played. It showed up one day in my iPod when I set it to shuffle, and I had to play it through a few times.

Regards,

Tengrain

 
At Thu Jul 12, 11:36:00 AM, Blogger Dr. Zaius said...

Johnny Yen: This is just what happened on my Go-Go's post. I talked about how I like Belinda Carlisle, everybody else liked Jane Wiedlin. Now I talk about how I like Michael Steele, AKA Susanne Thomas, ande everybody else talks about how they like Susana Hoffs. Do you think that maybe I am not conforming enough? Maybe I need to play more reindeer games.

SamuraiFrog: Mmm... Babysitters! Thank you, you have stirred fond memories deep within the Zaius psyche!

Splotchy: Yay! I love the post that you did! I have added a link to your post that has the version of "Our Lips are Sealed" done by the The Fun Boy Three to the original Go-Go's post. Thanks!

Tengrain: Well, did you watch the video for their song "In Your Room"? With the obscure symbolism, and the good and bad versions of the band in twin universes co-existing in the same video without imploding? I certainly had new respect for them as a band the second I saw one of them do the "Batusi!"

 
At Sat Jul 14, 01:53:00 AM, Blogger Spocko said...

The Bangles and Nimoy in one post?

My good Doctor, I believe you are trying to make me lose consciousness from too much wonderfulness in one post!

Well done.

 
At Sat Jul 14, 05:15:00 AM, Blogger Dr. Zaius said...

That is exactly how I feel about the Bangles! Thank you, sir.

 
At Sat Jul 14, 03:00:00 PM, Blogger spocko said...

Fyi

Mr. is Me as in Mr. Spocko

LLAP,
Spocko

 
At Fri Dec 21, 08:32:00 AM, Blogger dguzman said...

Early Bangles was so effing great--that first EP (cover pictured above) and the All Over the Place LP were constant spinners on my turntable. Nice post!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Newer Posts  |  Older Posts