Minister of Science and Chief Protector of the Faith

Thursday, March 06, 2008

I Like My Coffee the Same Way That I Like My Women, Bitter and Murky

 

Something like 85% of my traffic is from Google, and I enjoy looking through my stats and finding out what people were looking for when they came to my site. It's not always pleasant, as Sleestak will attest. Sometimes the search terms are downright creepy.

One thing that I noticed that people are searching for lately is pictures of Amy Walter. I posted about Amy back in October and November of 2006. Now, she does not get as much traffic as Ann Coulter's boobs or Britney Spears' panties, but Ms. Walter is perhaps a notable figure that appeals to the more cultivated or refined political bloggers.

I can understand the frustration of these bloggers seeking pictures of Ms. Walter. If you search on Google you can only find a few pictures of her, and I can say with some degree of certainty that there are no pictures of her on the internet wearing a miniskirt and go go boots.

I have been following the career of Ms. Walter for some time. She writes for non-partisan periodicals, so I am not even sure if she is a Democrat or a Republican. I just know that she is smart, and when I watch her it's hard for me to concentrate on what she saying anyway. This is what I wrote about Ms. Walter back in October 2006:

Am I the only nerd that has a crush on Amy Walter? When she says the word "gerrymander," it makes me want to appoint a special counsel to the UN. She can hold a special election in my district any day. Zaius Nation

At this point you may be asking yourself, "Who the heck is Amy Walter?" She is the Editor in Chief of "The Hotline" [ 2 ] and she has a weekly column in National Journal [ 2, 3 ], "On The Trail". (The National Journal is a hoity toity weekly magazine that provides "Insight for Insiders" and is "read by members of Congress, Capitol Hill staffers, the White House, Executive Branch agencies, the media, think tanks, corporations, associations and lobbyists." [ wikipedia ] The annual subscription fee is about $1800.)

She is also one of the hosts of Hotline TV, which is a "subscriber-only morning round-up of the previous evening's late-night political jokes, 'Play of the Day,' and a video podcast/online television show, Hotline TV." [ 1 ] You can also watch episodes of Hotline TV at their website.

"Amy Walter is one of the nation's top political forecasters. She has been successfully handicapping U.S. House races since she received The Washington Post's Crystal Ball award for her spot-on predictions in 2000. As editor in chief of The Hotline, the National Journal Group's online briefing on politics and policies, Amy Walter is the publication's primary voice.

Amy Walter was dubbed one of the most powerful people in politics in George magazine for her insights into the mechanics that make the political machine run. She has served as a political analyst for CNN and as a panelist and commentator on CBS' Face the Nation, Meet the Press (NBC), Washington Journal (C-SPAN), The NewsHour with Jim Lehrer (PBS), and the CBS Early Show. Amy Walter provided election night commentary for CNN in 2002, 2004, and 2006. Walter is frequently quoted as a congressional election expert in newspapers such as The Wall Street Journal, The Washington Post and The New York Times." [...] Her speaking fees range from $5,000 to $10,000. leadingauthorities.com

She was recently on HBO's Real Time With Bill Maher, where she could barely get a word in edgewise with the other panelists, scumbag Rep. Jack Kingston (R-GA) and delusional author David Frum. Here is the link to some of the comments about the show on the National Journal's blog.

When I first wrote about Ms. Walter, she was worked for Cook Political Report. Since that time she seems to have gained more respect among bloggers and journalists, as these two recent comments will attest:

Mar 04, 2008, IMT said: No you're not. Its the way she smiles with her eyes. You just know the gears are turning... and some of them are not on the subject at hand. Bright, approachable, an attentive listener, someone you'd very much like to have coffee with.

Her on-air style resonates with me. I like the unpolished demeanor she projects on-air. And let's not forget she looks very natural both on and off camera.

Amy is a great example of what a successful, intelligent, and thoughtful American women can be like. Contrast her to the shrill and dismissive talking head women so popular in the media today. What you'll see is an individual who is comfortable with who they are and what they do and do not know.

Personally, I'm thankful I get to watch and listen to Amy as often as I am.

And that, gentle readers, is what it's all about. There is nothing as exciting as a successful, intelligent, and thoughtful woman - a woman without pretense, who speaks here mind and knows what she is talking about. (Although a miniskirt and go go boots are definitely a plus...)

Feb 29, 2008, Anonymous said: I'm a 42 year old straight guy (sure, a geek), and I think Amy Walter is smokin hot. I just say her on Maher Real Time, and she is oozing with intelligent sexuality.

Well, I guess that intelligent sexuality does have a way of oozing, I suppose.

Ms. Walter is often quoted as saying, "Every politician is always looking for that perfect sweet spot, that place where you can find the perfect balance." Well Ms. Walter, I must say that I have a sweet spot for you right here, in my heart.


Oh, Ms. Walter - one day I will tame your wild and wanton ways...

Am I the only nerd that has a crush on Amy Walter? When she says the word
 

Labels:

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

16 Comments:

At Thu Mar 06, 06:52:00 AM, Blogger Randal Graves said...

I still think you should have performed exploratory brain surgery on Russert after your appearance on his show.

 
At Thu Mar 06, 10:31:00 AM, Blogger Ubermilf said...

You better stockpile some Diet Coke.

 
At Thu Mar 06, 01:14:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How could you?

How could alter the the image of my beloved babe from the show UFO?!?

*sniff*

Her futuristic shiny skirt and purple hair are sacred!

Sacred I say!

;-)

 
At Thu Mar 06, 01:52:00 PM, Blogger Dean Wormer said...

She looks like a smart man's Sarah Silverman.

Is she f-ing Matt Damon?

 
At Thu Mar 06, 01:52:00 PM, Blogger Germaine Gregarious said...

She looks fab in the rumpus room!

 
At Thu Mar 06, 02:47:00 PM, Blogger Claire said...

She could do worse than a respected simian politician, you know?

 
At Thu Mar 06, 03:36:00 PM, Blogger Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

Holy crap, she's totally hot! She smart, vute, and funny. I'm crushing on her like crazy.

 
At Thu Mar 06, 04:22:00 PM, Blogger Life As I Know It Now said...

"Amy is a great example of what a successful, intelligent, and thoughtful American women can be like. Contrast her to the shrill and dismissive talking head women so popular in the media today."

let's rephrase that shall we...

"Andrew is a great example of what a successful, intelligent, and thoughtful American man can be like. Contrast him to the shrill and dismissive talking head men so popular in the media today."

gee wiz, I thought we had gotten liberated some decade or so back but I guess not so much huh?

 
At Thu Mar 06, 05:11:00 PM, Blogger Life As I Know It Now said...

P.S. I know these were not your words but...
and you said you LIKE bitter and murky so there you go.

 
At Thu Mar 06, 07:50:00 PM, Blogger Jon the Intergalactic Gladiator said...

She's smart and hot. She's smot.

 
At Fri Mar 07, 03:42:00 AM, Blogger Batocchio said...

The post title makes me think of the scene in Airplane! where the little boy's heart is crushed by the little girl...

Boy: Sugar?
Girl: No thank you. I like my coffee the way I like my men — black.

 
At Fri Mar 07, 05:42:00 AM, Blogger Dr. Zaius said...

Randal Graves: What can I say? The subject did not have anything for me to work with.

Übermilf: Ick! Yes, although it pains me to do so.

MWB's World: All of the LGPPP uniforms are patterned after the great pop culture icons, don't cha know? ;o)

Dean Wormer: She's an angel!

Germaine Gregarious: Where she belongs, my dear! She will be right at home.

CDP: Thank you for the vote of confidence! I think that this will definately be a step up for her.

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein: Yes! I really like her too.

Liberality: I think that you may have missed the author's point to a degree. Women that are portrayed in the media as being strong or intelligent are often merely shrill and dominating, like Ann Coulter and Nancy Grace. He is not finding fault with strong female figures, merely the media's choice of who they present as a strong female figure. Also, the humor that I presented was that I presented a dichotomy - I stated how I liked intelligent women, and then talked about miniskirts and go go boots. The joke is not about women, but about the shallow perceptions of the fictional author - me, Dr. Zaius.

Liberality: Once again, the joke was meant to be self depricating. Sorry if I did not tell it well.

Jon the Intergalactic Gladiator: Ha! Good one!

Batocchio: Yes! I love that movie. There are a lot of variations on that joke. I should do a post about that...

 
At Wed Oct 15, 11:52:00 PM, Blogger Than said...

I just saw her on Jim Lehrer, and she looks just like Draco Malfoy!

 
At Wed Oct 29, 12:37:00 PM, Blogger robodok said...

She's a dead ringer for an old girlfriend of mine, so I have a doubly sweet spot for her. Same great smile, combined with intelligence, makes it hard for me to concentrate when she's on PBS Newshour.

 
At Sun Nov 09, 03:06:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At Sun Nov 09, 03:11:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you think that Lt Gay Ellis might be related to Erin Esurance?? Perhaps the purple hair is hereditary??

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Newer Posts  |  Older Posts