Minister of Science and Chief Protector of the Faith

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

I Feel as if I Am Being Asked to Pay Guilt Coupons for Supporting Obama

 

I am glad that the primary is over, and that we can now get on with the general election. I am thankful that Senator Clinton has suspended her campaign and chosen to support Barack Obama. I am dismayed, however, at the meme being pushed forward by bloggers and Senator McCain that somehow Senator Hillary Clinton was robbed of the primary election. Although I can sympathize with her supporters, I do not see any positive benefit for the party in pushing forward this false story, nor do I see this as a realistic viewpoint of what took place during the Democratic primary.

Gloria Steinem [ 1, ] singles out for blame for Senator Clinton's, "misogyny and the culture at large, and especially in the media." I would agree that misogyny is rife in this culture and in the media (as are many other negative factors) but I would not agree that we can only blame misogyny for Senator Clinton's loss.

I disagree with the broad totality Ms. Steinem's assertions, and I don't think that her statements regarding what Senator Clinton and Terry McAuliffe said the night that Barack Obama won the Democratic primary are an accurate assessment of the event. [ 1 ]

I believe that Senator Clinton lost the Democratic primary fair and square. The race was not stolen from her. I submit the following comments from the webmaster at electoral-vote.com, which I think briefly encapsulate at least some of the reasons that Senator Clinton's campaign failed to win the Democratic primary.


Admittedly, it was indeed a very close race and Senator Clinton deserves all of the respect and admiration of her supporters. I merely disagree that her misfortune should be blamed on Obama's supporters allegedly being misogynistic, nor do I think that the blame for her loss is because of the faults or failed perceptions of those that did not vote for her.

I honestly believe that the reason that Senator Clinton did not win the Democratic primary had less to do with her gender, her policies or her rhetoric and more to do with the way her campaign was run. And in light of the many errors she and her staff made during the primary, I am a little leery of any argument about her 'electability' in a general election in light of the track record of her campaign decisions made during the primary.

I understand Senator Clinton's supporters position, though. I, for one, know all about supporting a political figure against a tide of dissent from my peers and I have also long argued that we do indeed need a woman in the White House, Speaker Nancy Pelosi. Despite what people say, I still feel that Speaker Pelosi is doing a great a job. [ 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ]

As long as I am writing what is sure to be an unpopular post, let me also point out that although I agree with Representative Dennis Kucinich's call for President Bush's impeachment in spirit, I don't agree with his tactics and believe that his motives are actually more about self-aggrandizing and less about doing what is plausible or realistic in the current political climate. I have discussed my opinion about Representative Kucinich clear in this post.

In my opinion, you can either win this election and get the Republicans out of congress and the White House - or tilt at windmills. I have made my opinion this matter previously, and still stand by my unpopular opinion on the matter. I have no doubt that it was a difficult decision for the Democrats in congress to make. Taking the high road is not always the way to win the war.
 

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

9 Comments:

At Tue Jun 10, 11:46:00 PM, Blogger BAC said...

While I do think some of Obama's supporters are misogynists, I don't blame them for Clinton's loss. I place much of the blame on the misogynist media.

Advertising is a trillion dollar industry because it works -- and night after night media pundits gave voters a plethora of reasons why Hillary Clinton should just quit. Their advertising campaign against her was breathtaking. Melissa, at Shakesville, has a great post about this that is linked at Yikes.


BAC

 
At Tue Jun 10, 11:50:00 PM, Blogger Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

This is the most misogynist post you ever wrote.

 
At Wed Jun 11, 12:53:00 AM, Blogger Odile said...

Que puedo decir... los demócratas hicieron un gran movimiento, sin importar cual de sus dos candidatos ganara representaria un parteaguas en la realidad de EUA. Pues cualquiera de los dos roperia el esquema de hombre blanco en la presidencia.

 
At Wed Jun 11, 08:20:00 AM, Blogger Ubermilf said...

Maybe some guys can't handle the thought of being pushed around by some broad. Also, a lot of women like to tear down other women, for various reasons.

But I opposed Hillary because of a feeling I had, that she was the candidate the corporate overlords wanted.

The desperation to win that other people chalked up to selfishness, I chalked up to fear of being punished by her cruel masters for failing.

Of course, I'm a conspiracy theorist.

 
At Wed Jun 11, 11:26:00 AM, Blogger Claire said...

You make some great points. I supported Clinton, and I believe that Obama's supporters (for the most part) were not misogynists (still have a problem with "99 problems")...BAC is right, there was a great deal of misogyny in the media coverage, and that hurt her. I have no problem voting for Obama, and the female Hillary supporters who say that they'll now vote for McCain are a very small minority, and I have two words for them: Supreme Court.

I like your defense of Speaker Pelosi, whom I generally like and admire, but I disagree on impeachment, and I wish she hadn't taken away the option. I'm still angry over that, and self-aggrandizing or not, I think that Kucinich should be congratulated.

Great post!

 
At Wed Jun 11, 12:30:00 PM, Blogger Unconventional Conventionist said...

I don't disagree with you very much. I do use a different frame though.

The process itself is very messy, time consuming and expensive. People grew weary of that, and wanted it to just be the EVENT of Super Tuesday, rather than let the whole process play out, so they started the meme "It's over, you lost" well before the process was complete. (It wasn't a runaway deal where Obama was kicking her ass in every contest by 30, 40 points. they were often evenly split contests.) People then mistakenly take to that "it's over" meme as "mysogyny" when it was really weariness of the process IMO.

For the next time, we need to change the process; National Primary Day with a runoff would do it. It would be way better for everyone.

 
At Thu Jun 12, 10:13:00 AM, Blogger Swinebread said...

"She refused to admit that her vote for the Iraq war as a mistake"

That's the big one for me. Dems should never forget this and her supports shouldn't forget this.

 
At Fri Jun 13, 06:03:00 AM, Blogger Dr. Zaius said...

BAC: I don't feel that Senator Clinton's loss can be placed on the shoulders of the misogynistic media. There were many factors, and the same media lambasted Obama as well. misogynism was a factor on some level of the primary election however, as was racism. That is true.

Dr. Monkerstein: Ha! I can top this! Just wait 'til next time!

Odile: If I understand what you are saying correctly, I agree. Either candidate would have been worthy candidates for president. I am not sure what "roperia" means, though. Sorry.

Übermilf: I like your theories! If a theory isn't good enough to be called a 'conspiracy theory', it's not worth knowing about if you ask me.

CDP: Thanks! Sadly many deride Speaker Pelosi> I think that she has done a great job! She hadn't taken away the impeachment option, the Republican's did.

Unconventional Conventionist: "National Primary Day" might well be a good idea. That sounds good. I must admit that I haven't really read enough about how to best change the primary election process to give a reasonably well thought-out answer.

Swinebread: Yes, that is certainly a big reason for me, too. No matter how you slice it, it was a weak position for Senator Clinton.

Jess Wundrun: Ha! I have always wanted to be abfab! Thank you! And indeed, both Democratic candidates were treated poorly by the media. Is Richard Mellon Scaife the owner of that conservative paper that endorsed her after he interview? I didn't mind that too much. You have to admit, it took guts on her part.

 
At Tue Jun 17, 03:52:00 AM, Blogger Odile said...

"roperia" error al escribir, quise poner roMpería.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Newer Posts  |  Older Posts